Nifaq (hypocrisy) means a pretense of loving Islam whereas concealing Kufr and evil. A hypocrite is given this appellation as a result of he enters the faith from one door and exits from one other. Hence, Allah ﷻ cautioned in opposition to hypocrites saying:
إِنَّ ٱلۡمُنَـٰفِقِینَ هُمُ ٱلۡفَـٰسِقُونَ
“Verily, hypocrites are the rebellious.”
The rebellious are those that insurgent in opposition to the Islamic legal guidelines, Allah ﷻ considers the hypocrites as extra evil than the infidels saying:
إِنَّ ٱلۡمُنَـٰفِقِینَ فِی ٱلدَّرۡكِ ٱلۡأَسۡفَلِ مِنَ ٱلنَّارِ
“Verily, the hypocrites shall be in the lowest level of fire.”
Hypocrisy is of two varieties:
The first kind: Doctrinal hypocrisy, which is main hypocrisy; the one who upholds it shows Islam and conceals infidelity. This kind constitutes absolute apostasy, and condemns those that uphold it to the bottom degree of Hell-Fire. Allah has described its folks as possessing evil traits; reminiscent of Kufr, lack of Eemaan, derision of religion and its folks and inclining fully to the enemies of Islam for sharing their hostility.
Such folks exist in all ages, Particularly when Islam prevails they usually can not resist it publicly, due to this fact they fake to be Muslims in an effort to plot in opposition to it and its folks privately. And as a result of they dwell with the Muslims, they guarantee the security of their blood and properties.
Doctrinal hypocrisy is of six sorts
- Denying the Messenger ﷺ
- Denying Part of what the Messenger ﷺ was despatched with.
- Hating the Messenger ﷺ
- Hating a few of what the Messenger ﷺ was despatched with.
- Rejoicing over the decline of the deen of the Messenger ﷺ.
- Resenting the prevalence of the deen of the Prophet ﷺ.
The second kind: Practical hypocrisy; (that’s) possessing a trait of the hypocrites whereas retaining Eemaan within the coronary heart. This doesn’t represent apostasy, however it’s thought of as a way to it. An individual who upholds it combines each, Eemaan and hypocrisy. When the latter prevails, he turns into a sheer hypocrite. The proof of that is the assertion of the Prophet ﷺ:
“Four traits, whoever possesses them is a sheer hypocrite. And whoever possesses one of them would possess a trait of hypocrisy until he relinquishes it. When he is entrusted, he betrays trust, and when he speaks, he lies, when he enters into a treaty, he behaves treacherously, and when he disputes with others, he behaves immorally.”
The Differences between Major and Minor Hypocrisy:
- Major hypocrisy constitutes apostasy, whereas minor hypocrisy doesn’t.
- Major hypocrisy signifies dissimilarity between the internal and outer beliefs, whereas minor hypocrisy signifies dissimilarity between private and non-private actions, not beliefs.
- Major hypocrisy doesn’t belong to a believers, whereas minor hypocrisy could belong to a believer.
- An individual who upholds main hypocrisy doesn’t normally repent, however even when he does so, students are at variance close to accepting his repentance by a decide. Whereas minor hypocrisy when one upholds it and repents to Allah, Allah will settle for his repentance.
May Allah shield us from Hypocrisy.